Jul 21, 2024  
2012-2013 Graduate Catalog 
2012-2013 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Consideration for admission to the Graduate School will be given to applicants holding a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or the equivalent. Applicants for admission must present evidence that they have had the necessary academic preparation to enable them to pursue the graduate program for which they are applying. The Graduate School has no fixed minimum grade point average requirement for admission; however, the applicant should have a strong undergraduate record. Students who have undertaken graduate work at another institution must be in good standing at that institution to be eligible for admission to The University of Maine.

Specific requirements and deadlines for admission differ by program, as described elsewhere in this catalog. Applicants should consult with the program’s graduate coordinator to confirm that all departmental admission requirements have been met. All material submitted as part of an application receives careful consideration. Contact the Graduate School for further information concerning general admission criteria.

Application Procedures

An applicant for admission must submit the following materials directly to the Graduate School, 5755 Stodder Hall, Room 42, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5755.

  • An Application for Admission (paper form) or an electronically submitted application.
  • An official transcript from each institution attended, showing the grades earned in all of the applicant’s previous academic work (graduate and undergraduate), and degree(s) earned.
  • Three letters of recommendation (on the Graduate School’s recommendation forms) from persons in a position to judge the applicant’s preparation for and ability to undertake graduate study (e.g. previous instructors or co-workers). Letters should be forwarded directly by the writer to the Graduate School. On-line submission of recommendation letters is available through the on-line graduate application.
  • A non-refundable application fee.
  • Official report of scores achieved on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Exceptions to this requirement are as follows: Applicants to the MBA program must submit scores on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) in lieu of the GRE.  Applicants to the Master of Education, Master of Nursing and the Master of Social Work programs may submit Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores in lieu of the GRE.  Applicants to the Certificate of Advanced Study in Education and in Nursing, Master of Fine Arts in Intermedia, and Master of Arts in Liberal Studies programs are not required to submit GRE scores, although it is recommended for consideration for competitive scholarships. Applicants to the Master of Music program must take departmental exams in lieu of the GRE. Applicants to the Master of Arts in Teaching program may submit Praxis I scores in lieu of the GRE or MAT exams.  In limited cases, Graduate Record Examination scores may not be required for admission to certain doctoral programs for those students who hold a recent master’s degree from an accredited university. It is essential that applicants contact the department of intended study to determine specific program requirements.
  • Official report of scores achieved on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for all international applicants whose native language is not English. The Graduate School requires a minimum score of 79 on the iBT TOEFL or equivalent. To be awarded a Teaching Assistantship, applicants must have achieved a 92 on the iBT TOEFL or equivalent. Applicants with iBT TOEFL scores below 79 or equivalent will be required to take English language training. IELTS English proficiency scores are accepted on a case-by-case basis.

All application materials become part of the permanent records of the University and will not be returned.


Fall applicants who wish to be considered for assistantships or fellowships should submit an application and all supporting materials by January 15th of that year. All programs set their own individuals application deadlines, so please check with your program’s website or the graduate coordinator. A list of graduate programs, with website links and contact information for graduate coordinators is available here. Certain programs admit students only for September, or may have other deadlines. Such deadlines are noted in the program description section of the catalog.

When the application and all required supporting materials have been received, the application is reviewed by faculty members of the appropriate program. This review is normally conducted by an admissions committee, composed of graduate faculty members, which makes recommendations to the Graduate School concerning the admission of applicants to the program. Upon receiving the committee’s recommendation, the Graduate School reviews the applicant’s file. After making the final decision, the Graduate School will inform the applicant of the action taken.

The timing of admissions decisions varies by program. Consult the graduate coordinator in your program to check admission status. A list of graduate coordinators is available here.

Immunization Law

The State of Maine requires all students born after 1956 to furnish proof of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus and diphtheria. Proof of immunization must be on file at the Cutler Health Center prior to finalization of registration. Students should forward proof of immunization to the Cutler Health Center as soon as possible after notification of admission.

Types of Admission

Regular admission is granted to students whose academic records and supporting documents indicate they are qualified to undertake graduate study in their chosen fields.

Tentative admission is granted to a student admitted during the final year of undergraduate work. Admission on this basis is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the undergraduate program and submission of a complete, final transcript showing receipt of the degree.

Provisional admission is granted to a student who does not have all the prerequisites for admission to graduate study in the academic field. Prerequisite and elective courses must be made a part of the student’s program of study.

Conditional admission may be granted to a student whose academic record may not meet all established academic requirements but suggests promise for success in graduate study. Conditional admission is equivalent in every way to regular admission with the single exception that students may not receive graduate assistantships or fellowships. In order to be removed from conditional status a student must maintain the same level of academic excellence expected of all graduate students. Specifically, to be removed from condition, a student must earn grades of “A” or “B” in his or her first nine hours of graduate credit in order to continue graduate study.

Certificate admission. All students applying to graduate certificate programs must submit a certificate application to the Graduate School. Certificate students must also send a transcript indicating completion of a Bachelor’s degree. Additional credentials may be required. Please contact the Graduate School.

Non-degree admission. All students enrolling in 500 and 600-level courses, regardless of whether or not they intend to receive graduate degree credit for course work, must apply for non-degree graduate admission, and will be billed at graduate rates for all classes taken, at any level. Proof of an earned baccalaureate degree is required if the degree was not earned within the University of Maine System. Non-degree status is good for one calendar year. International students must also provide a minimum iBT TOEFL score of 79 or equivalent.

Visiting student admission. Students in good standing in another recognized graduate school who wish to enroll for a limited number of course credits, and who plan to resume work at the school of original admission, may be admitted as a visiting graduate student. Admission is granted through submission of a “Visiting Graduate Student Application” signed by an official of the Graduate School in which the student is enrolled. International students who apply this way must document finances and have a minimum iBT TOEFL score of 79 or equivalent.

Readmission to the Graduate School

A student previously admitted to the Graduate School who has failed to maintain continuous enrollment and who wishes to resume graduate work must file an “Application for Readmission to the Graduate School” and pay the appropriate readmission fee.

The student’s readmission must be recommended by the program involved and approved by the Graduate School. An applicant for readmission will not necessarily have preference over new applicants, and will be treated in the same manner as an applicant for initial admission. Any student readmitted to Graduate School will be governed by policies listed in the Graduate Catalog and departmental handbook for the year of readmission.

International Applicants

The University welcomes applications from graduates of institutions of higher education in other nations. The application process can be lengthy, and prospective students are urged to begin as early as possible.In addition to the material required of all applicants, applicants from non-English speaking countries must furnish proof of their proficiency in English by submitting scores achieved on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered by the Educational Testing Service.

Arrangements for taking this examination should be made directly with the Educational Testing Service, Box 899, Princeton, NJ 08541 or at www.ets.org. The Graduate School requires a minimum score of 79 on the iBT TOEFL or equivalent. To be awarded a Teaching Assistantship, applicants must have achieved a 92 on the iBT TOEFL or equivalent. In some circumstances, TOEFL scores may be waived if the applicant has attended an American college or university for at least four years or has previously earned a graduate degree from a U.S. institution of higher education. IELTS scores are also accepted on a case by case basis. Generally, an overall IELTS score of 6.5 is required for admission, and a score of 7.0 is required for a Teaching Assistantship.

Health insurance is required of all international students and dependents residing in the U.S. Health insurance may be purchased through the University. Students with comparable insurance coverage must provide proof of acceptable coverage.

Financial aid from The University of Maine and is awarded competitively. Students not receiving university support must provide proof of sufficient funds to meet all expenses while studying in the United States. Further information about financial aid for international students is found in the section on Financial Awards and Assistance.


Criminal Background Checks

The University of Maine is required to determine if any applicant for admission represents a potential threat to the university community. In order to aid in this process, all applicants will be required to answer questions about past history of academic misconduct and criminal misconduct when applying for admission to the Graduate School. The Graduate School will follow up with applicants who answer either question affirmatively and may run a criminal background history of the applicant.
Admission decisions for those individuals with a past criminal history who are otherwise academically qualified will based on the severity of the crime, the demonstration of rehabilitation, and the potential to succeed and obtain licensure (if applicable) in the chosen program.

Students who are pursuing degrees leading to application for professional licensure or certification, and/or who will be participating in clinical placements, internships, or practica through their UMaine program should also be aware that their host facility may require a criminal background check, finger printing, or drug screening. In such situations, each student is responsible for obtaining and paying for the background check or other screening process and for delivering required documentation to the facility. Although the university will make reasonable efforts to place admitted students in field experiences and internships, it will be up to the host facility to determine whether a student will be allowed to work at that facility. Students should further be aware that a criminal record may jeopardize licensure by the state certification body. Students may consult the certification body corresponding to their intended occupation for more details. Successful completion of a program of study at UMaine does not guarantee licensure, certification, or employment in the relevant occupation.

Clery Act

The Clery Act requires universities to disclose three-year statistics regarding campus crime, including public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. This report includes our policies for campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by accessing the following website, http://www.umaine.edu/security or obtain a paper copy upon request by contacting the Police Department, University of Maine, 81 Rangeley Road, Orono, ME 04469-5794 or by calling 207-581-4040.


Graduate students may register for classes at the Graduate School, register themselves using student self service in Maine Street, or register through the administrative assistants in their respective departments. The two pre-registration periods for matriculated graduate students are Fall and Spring. Students must obtain their advisor’s signature on the registration form or forward an e-mail from their advisor before being registered by the Graduate School.

In their first registration as graduate students, new students must be registered by the Graduate School staff and are encouraged to register for classes as early as possible. New students must contact their advisor for initial advising. If the student has not been assigned an advisor, the graduate coordinator of the department may advise them on course selection. If a new student is not scheduled to arrive on campus before classes begins, the advisor or graduate coordinator should complete a registration form or send an email the Graduate School to guarantee that the student has been formally matriculated. Otherwise, the student may experience delays in making housing arrangements, obtaining library access, and other matters requiring identification.

Add/drop deadlines are set by the Office of Student Records and must be strictly followed. The University enforces these deadlines and late dropping of classes will result in tuition bills to students.

Graduate assistants must maintain full-time registration status (usually six or more degree hours per semester) while they hold an assistantship, and they may not register for more than 12 credit hours in one semester. Recipients of some fellowships and scholarships are required to register for at least nine degree hours each semester. Students holding assistantships in the summer must register for at least one graduate credit hour. All graduate assistant, fellows, and trainees earning a half-time equivalent stipend ($1,567 month) must purchase the University’s health insurance or provide proof of insurance coverage.

Add-and-Drop. Beginning on the first day of classes each semester, there is a five-day period during which a student can add or drop a course, change divisions of a course, or change credit status. Courses can be dropped without penalty only during the official add-and-drop period. Consult the Graduate School and/or department for registration and add-and-drop procedures. Failure to properly drop a course may result in tuition charges.

Continuous Enrollment. Continuous enrollment means every graduate student admitted for full-time study is required to register each fall and spring semester for at least 6 credit hours except as noted in the “General Policies and Regulations” of the Graduate School (http://www.umaine.edu/graduate/system/files/files/policies.pdf), under 3. Registration. Full-time students must register each semester from the time of the first enrollment in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree, including filing the thesis or dissertation and passing the final oral examination.

A graduate student who has been admitted on a part-time basis is required to enroll and register at least once every 12 months from the time of first registration in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree. All students must also be registered in the semester in which they graduate.

Course work included in a student’s program of study taken at a campus other than The University of Maine may satisfy the continuous enrollment requirement provided the student’s University of Maine advisor and the Graduate School have approved the registration in advance and in writing.

A student who fails to maintain continuous enrollment is considered inactive and must apply for readmission to the Graduate School in order to resume work on a graduate degree.


On-Leave. Degree students who will not be taking classes must apply for on-leave status. Failure to be officially on-leave results in broken enrollment, and the student must apply for readmission to finish his or her degree. The time spent officially on-leave does not count in the time limits for earning degrees. Students may not register as graduate students while on leave.

Away Registration. A student may arrange to study at another institution after being admitted as a graduate student at The University of Maine. This study may be undertaken at another campus in the UM System or another accredited institution within or outside the state of Maine. Such arrangements must, however, be approved by the student’s advisor and by the Graduate School prior to registration in the course. The Domestic Study Away Registration form which is available from the Graduate School at http://www.umaine.edu/graduate/gs-documents-and-forms  should be used. The conditions for transfer shall comply with basic transfer policy and may not exceed 50 percent of the student’s entire course work for the degree. Away registration for credit will also satisfy the continuous enrollment requirement. It is particularly important that students receiving financial aid fill out the Domestic Study Away Registration form. Failure to do so may stop receipt of financial aid funds.

Summer Session. The University offers the opportunity to pursue graduate studies during the summer. Although many graduate-level courses are offered during the summer session, the University does not guarantee that any particular course will be offered. Details regarding courses offered may be found in the Summer Session Bulletin, which may be obtained from the Summer Session Office in Chadbourne Hall or from the Graduate School or http://dll.umaine.edu/summer/.

The availability of individual faculty members to supervise research or to participate in final oral examinations during the summer session varies. Graduate students should determine, in advance, whether the members of their advisory committee will be available during a particular summer session.

CED Registration. All graduate students registering for CED (Continuing Education Division) courses must have been admitted to a graduate program or must have non-degree graduate student status. CED students must process their registration through the Graduate School. This is especially important for new CED graduate students in order to keep their records correct from the beginning of their programs.

600-Level Courses. Enrollment in 600-level courses is limited to graduate students admitted to a degree program or to those who have received a non-degree admission, or to a student from another recognized school who has been admitted as a visiting graduate student. The instructor is normally the final authority in judging a student’s qualifications to take a particular course. In the case of 600-level business administration courses, prior approval from the Maine Business School is required, and involves submission of GMAT scores and official transcripts to the MBA program director. Students, whose application to the Graduate School is pending, may take one graduate level business course without submission of GMAT scores.