Jun 12, 2024  
2003-2004 Graduate Catalog 
2003-2004 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Consideration for admission to the Graduate School will be given to applicants holding a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or the equivalent. Applicants for admission must present evidence that they have had the necessary academic preparation to enable them to pursue the graduate program for which they are applying. The Graduate School has no fixed minimum grade point average requirement for admission; however, the applicant should have a strong undergraduate record. Students who have undertaken graduate work at another institution must be in good standing at that institution to be eligible for admission to The University of Maine.

Specific requirements for admission differ by program, as described elsewhere in this catalog. All material submitted as part of an application receives careful consideration. Contact the Graduate School for further information concerning general admission criteria.

Application Procedures

An applicant for admission must submit the following materials directly to the Graduate School, 2 Winslow Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5782.

  1. Two copies of the Application for Admission to the Graduate School.
  2. Two official transcripts from each institution attended, showing the grades earned in all of the applicant’s previous academic work (graduate and undergraduate), and degree(s) earned.
  3. Three letters of recommendation (on the Graduate School’s recommendation forms) from persons in a position to judge the applicant’s preparation for and ability to undertake graduate study (e.g. previous instructors or co-workers). Letters should be forwarded directly by the writer to the Graduate School, and must be in duplicate.
  4. A non-refundable application fee.
  5. Official report of scores achieved on the Graduate Record Examination aptitude test. Exceptions to this requirement are as follows:
    1. Applicants to the MBA program must submit scores on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) in lieu of the GRE. GMAT scores are also acceptable for the MPA program.
    2. Applicants to the Certificate of Advanced Study in Education and Master of Arts in Liberal Studies programs are not required to submit GRE scores. Applicants who hold a master’s degree are not required to submit GRE’s for the CAS program in Nursing.
    3. Applicants to the Master of Education, Master of Nursing and the Master of Social Work programs may submit Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores in lieu of the GRE.
    4. In limited cases, Graduate Record Examination scores may not be required for admission to certain doctoral programs for those students who hold a recent master’s degree from an accredited university. It is essential that applicants contact the department of intended study to determine specific program requirements.
  6. Official report of scores achieved on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for all international applicants whose native language is not English. The Graduate School requires a minimum score of 550 on TOEFL or equivalent score on the computer-based TOEFL (CBT). To be awarded a Teaching Assistantship, applicants must have achieved a 580 or equivalent score on the CBT TOEFL. Applicants with scores below 550 or equivalent CBT score will be required to take English language training.

All application materials become part of the permanent records of the University and will not be returned.

The Graduate School accepts applications throughout the year, however, it is strongly recommended that completed applications be on file at the Graduate School by January 15 to allow time for processing and for consideration for assistantships for the following academic year. Certain programs admit students only for September, or may have other deadlines. Such deadlines are noted in the program description section. Applications for the spring semester should be submitted at least eight weeks before the beginning of the semester.

When the application and all required supporting materials have been received, the application is reviewed by faculty members of the appropriate program. This review is normally conducted by an admissions committee, composed of graduate faculty members, which makes recommendations to the Graduate School concerning the admission of applicants to the program. Upon receiving the committee’s recommendation, the Graduate School reviews the applicant’s file. After making the final decision, the Graduate School will inform the applicant of the action taken.

The timing of admissions decisions varies by program. Consult the Graduate School to check admission status.

Immunization Law

The State of Maine requires all students born after 1956 to furnish proof of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus and diphtheria. Proof of immunization must be on file at the Cutler Health Center prior to finalization of registration. Students should forward proof of immunization to the Cutler Health Center as soon as possible after notification of admission.

Types of Admission

Regular admission is granted to students whose academic records and supporting documents indicate they are qualified to undertake graduate study in their chosen fields.

Tentative admission is granted to a student admitted during the final year of undergraduate work. Admission on this basis is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the undergraduate program and submission of a complete, final transcript showing receipt of the degree.

Provisional admission is granted to a student who does not have all the prerequisites for admission to graduate study in the academic field. Prerequisite and elective courses must be made a part of the student’s program of study.

Conditional admission may be granted to a student whose academic record may not meet all established academic requirements but suggests promise for success in graduate study. Conditional admission is equivalent in every way to regular admission with the single exception that students may not receive graduate assistantships or fellowships. In order to be removed from conditional status a student must maintain the same level of academic excellence expected of all graduate students. Specifically, to be removed from condition, a student must earn grades of “A” or “B” in his or her first nine hours of graduate credit in order to continue graduate study.

Certificate admission. All students applying to graduate certificate programs must submit a certificate application to the Graduate School. Certificate students must have received a Bachelor’s degree. Additional credentials may be required. Please contact the Graduate School.

Non-degree admission. All students enrolling in 500 and 600-level courses, regardless of whether or not they intend to receive graduate degree credit for course work, must apply for non-degree graduate admission, and will be billed at graduate rates for all classes taken, at any level. Non-degree applicants must have earned a Bachelor’s degree. International students must also provide a minimum TOEFL score of 550 or above.

Visiting admission. Students in good standing in another recognized graduate school who wish to enroll for a limited number of course credits, and who plan to resume work at the school of original admission, may be admitted as a visiting graduate student. Admission is granted through submission of a “Visiting Graduate Student Application” signed by an official of the Graduate School in which the student is enrolled. International students who apply this way must document finances and have a minimum TOEFL score of 550.

Readmission to the Graduate School. A student previously admitted to the Graduate School who has failed to maintain continuous enrollment and who wishes to resume graduate work must file an “Application for Readmission to the Graduate School” and pay the appropriate readmission fee. The student’s readmission must be recommended by the department involved and approved by the Director of the Graduate School. An applicant for readmission will not necessarily have preference over new applicants, and will be treated in the same manner as an applicant for initial admission.

International Applicants

The University welcomes applications from graduates of institutions of higher education in other nations. However, the application process can be lengthy, and prospective students are urged to begin as early as possible.

A brochure entitled “Information for Prospective International Graduate Students” gives detailed information and is available from the Graduate School Office.

In addition to the material required of all applicants, applicants from non-English speaking countries must furnish proof of their proficiency in English by submitting scores achieved on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered by the Educational Testing Service. Arrangements for taking this examination should be made directly with the Educational Testing Service, Box 899, Princeton, NJ 08541. A score of 550 or above on the TOEFL or equivalent score on the computer-based TOEFL (CBT) is required for admission. To be awarded a Teaching Assistantship, applicants must have achieved a 580 or equivalent on the TOEFL. In some circumstances, TOEFL scores may be waived if the applicant has attended an American college or university for at least four years or has previously earned a graduate degree from a U.S. institution of higher education.

Health insurance is required of all international students and dependents residing in the U.S. Health insurance may be purchased through the University. Students with comparable insurance coverage must provide proof of acceptable coverage.

Financial aid is available from The University of Maine and is awarded competitively. Students not receiving university support must provide proof of sufficient funds to meet all expenses while studying in the United States. Further information about financial aid for international students is found in the section on Financial Awards and Assistance.


Most graduate students register at the Graduate School. Graduate students initiate registration procedures with their advisor or the Graduate Coordinator of their department or program, and bring, mail, or FAX registration forms, signed by the advisor, to the Graduate School. New students are urged to register as early as possible prior to the start of the semester. All continuing students should preregister. A late fee is charged to students not paying their tuition and fees on or before the date designated each semester by the Office of Student Records. Registrations cannot be accepted by telephone in the Graduate School. However, certain graduate programs allow registration by telephone using Maine’s Automated Information Network (581-MAIN) or via DSIS.

Graduate assistants must maintain full-time registration status (usually six or more degree hours per semester) while they hold an assistantship, and they may not register for more than 12 credit hours in one semester. Recipients of some fellowships and scholarships are required to register for nine degree hours each semester. Students holding assistantships in the summer must register for at least one graduate credit hour to be considered full-time. Students must also be registered in the semester in which they graduate.

Add-and-Drop. Beginning on the first day of classes each semester, there is a five-day period during which a student can add or drop a course, change divisions of a course, or change credit status. Courses can be dropped only during the official add-and-drop period. Consult the Graduate School for registration and add-and-drop procedures. Failure to properly drop a course may result in tuition charges.

Continuous Enrollment. Continuous enrollment means every graduate student admitted for full-time study is required to register each fall and spring semester for at least 6 credit hours except as noted in the General Policies and Regulations of the Graduate School, under 3. Registration. Full-time students must register each semester from the time of the first enrollment in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree, including filing the thesis or dissertation and passing the final oral examination.

A graduate student who has been admitted on a part-time basis is required to enroll and register at least once every 12 months from the time of first registration in the Graduate School until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree.

Course work included in a student’s program of study taken at a campus other than The University of Maine may satisfy the continuous enrollment requirement provided the student’s University of Maine advisor and the Graduate School have approved the registration in advance and in writing.

A student who fails to maintain continuous enrollment is considered inactive and must apply for readmission to the Graduate School in order to resume work on a graduate degree.

On-Leave. Degree students who will not be taking classes must apply for on-leave status. Failure to be officially on-leave results in broken enrollment, and the student must apply for readmission to finish his or her degree. The time spent officially on-leave does not count in the time-limits for earning degrees. Students may not register as graduate students while on leave.

Extramural and Away Registration. A student may arrange to study at another institution after being admitted as a graduate student at The University of Maine. This study may be undertaken at another campus in The University of Maine system or another accredited institution within or outside the state of Maine. Such arrangements must, however, be approved by the student’s advisor and by the Graduate School prior to registration in the course. The required forms for Extramural Credit and Away or Multi-Campus Registration, available from the Graduate School, should be used. The conditions for transfer shall comply with basic transfer policy and may not exceed 50 percent of the student’s entire course work for the degree. Registration for extramural credit will also satisfy the continuous enrollment requirement. It is particularly important that students receiving financial aid fill out an Away or Multi-Campus Registration form. Failure to do so may stop receipt of financial aid funds.

Summer Session. The University offers the opportunity to pursue graduate studies during the summer. Although many graduate-level courses are offered during the summer session, the University does not guarantee that any particular course will be offered. Details regarding courses offered may be found in the Summer Session Bulletin, which may be obtained from the Summer Session Office in Chadbourne Hall or from the Graduate School.

The availability of individual faculty members to supervise research or to participate in final oral examinations during the summer session varies. Graduate students should determine, in advance, whether the members of their advisory committee will be available during a particular summer session.

CED Registration. All graduate students registering for CED (Continuing Education Division) courses must have been admitted to a graduate program or must have non-degree graduate student status. CED students must process their registration through the Graduate School. This is especially important for new CED graduate students in order to keep their records correct from the beginning of their programs.

600-Level Courses. Enrollment in 600-level courses is limited to graduate students admitted to a degree program or who have received a non-degree admission, or to a student from another recognized school who has been admitted as a visiting graduate student. The instructor is normally the final authority in judging a student’s qualifications to take a particular course. In the case of 600-level business administration courses, prior approval from the Maine Business School is required, and involves submission of GMAT scores and official transcripts to the MBA program director. Students, whose application to the Graduate School is pending, may take one graduate level business course without submission of the GMAT’s.