Oct 01, 2023  
2011-2012 Graduate Catalog 
2011-2012 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information

The University expects the student to be financially responsible. All accounts are carried in the name of the student, regardless of the source of payment. Bills and statements are mailed to the student, not the parent. All charges are payable in full by the due date on the Invoice. After that, a $100.00 late fee is assessed. For the Fall and Spring semesters, students with accounts that have not been paid or deferred to financial aid will have their class registrations reviewed for possible cancellation.

Reinstatement of registration after cancellation will be allowed upon prepayment of all charges, including a $100.00 reinstatement fee. Failure to be reinstated after cancellation will result in a one semester prohibition of registration. Financially delinquent students will be subject to the following administrative sanctions:

  1. They are prevented from receiving an official certified copy of their transcript and diploma.
  2. They are prevented from registration or pre-registration at any university in the University of Maine System.
  3. The University of Maine System or its universities may disclose (directly or through its collection agencies) to a credit bureau organization that the student has failed to pay an assessed charge.
  4. The University of Maine System or its universities may use in-house collection efforts, commercial collection firms, legal services, and the State of Maine Bureau of Taxation for collection on the accounts.

The financial requirements of the University, changing costs, state and legislative action and other matters may require an adjustment of these charges and expenses. The University reserves the right to make such adjustments to the estimated charges and expenses as may, from time to time, be necessary in the opinion of the Board of Trustees up to the date of final registration for a given academic term. The applicant acknowledges this reservation and agrees to the financial terms and conditions of the University by the submission of an application or by registration.

Invoices and Due Dates

Our paper bill is mailed to the student’s home address each semester.  Charges are calculated using pre-registrations, room sign-up information, and data supplied by the Admissions Office.  Email notifications concerning student accounts will be sent periodically until the bill is paid in full. Students may view their accounts on Student Self-Service on MaineStreet.

The Student receives a billing statement and packet of information from the university.  With the first bill for the fall, spring and summer semesters, the student will use the Anticipated Resources area of Student-Self-Service on MaineStreet (Path:  Student Self-Service / Self Service / Campus Finances / Anticipated Resources) to notify the University of any credits from other sources that are shown on the billing statement (i.e. scholarships, Perkins/Stafford Loans).

3rd Party/Sponsor Billing

The student receives an invoice.  The student will use the Anticipated Resources area of Student Self-Service on MaineStreet (Path:  Student Self-Service / Student Center / Self Service / Campus Finances / Anticipated Resources) to notify the University of any third party sponsorship.

It is the student’s responsibility to obtain authorization from the third party sponsor (purchase order/authorization form) which indicates how much the third party sponsor will be paying on the bill.

The student mails the authorization form, copy of the statement and payment (if any due) to the University by the payment due date.  If these items are received by the payment due date shown on the statement, no late fee will be assessed.

Late Payment Fee

A $100 late payment fee will be assessed to students who pay their bills after the due date.  To avoid being charged the late fee, students who have not received a bill should contact the Bursar’s Office.

Refund Policy

 Withdrawal from the University during the academic year:

Tuition. Tuition may be refunded in accordance with the scale and the provisions established by the University System, and available in the Bursar’s Office.

a.   Scale. Attendance period is counted from first day of class and includes weekends and holidays. The refund will be reckoned from the date on which the student notifies the Office of Student Records.

b.      Provisions.

1.  In no case will tuition be reduced or refunded because of voluntary absence from classes.

2.  Tuition adjustments attributed to involuntary absence (e.g., extended illness and military service) will be processed on a case-by-case basis.

Graduate Tuition and Fees* (2011-2012)

Semester Charges






Tuition (9 hours)





Student Activity Fee





Communications Fee





Room and Board





NOTES: Tuition charges per credit hour are as follows:
Resident: $418.00 per credit hour
Non-Resident: $1,202.00 per credit hour
New England Regional: 50% above the Maine resident rate ($627.00)
Canadian Citizen Tuition Rate: 50% above the Maine resident rate. ($627.00)
Unified Fee:

1-5 credit hours - $125.00 per semester
6-11 credit hours - $381.00 per semester
12-15 credit hours - $934.00 per semester
16 or more credit hours - $958.00 per semester

*Tuition & Fees are estimates and subject to change by the University of Maine System Board of Trustees Action. For updated listing of tuition and fees, please see the Bursar’s Office website http://www.umaine.edu/bursar.

Recreation Center Fee - The Recreation Center Fee includes access to the Student Recreation and Fitness Center, The Maine Bound Adventure Center, open swims at Wallace Pool and open recreation times in the Dome, Lengyel Gym and Memorial Gym. The Student Recreation and Fitness Center will be open Monday through Friday from 5:30 am to 12:00 midnight and Saturday through Sunday from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm. Break hours will vary. This fee also includes unlimited Level I adult group exercise classes (excludes some classes) and intramural Sports and Sport Club participation. Also included are reduced program fees for specialty fitness programs, Maine Bound Trips and courses, equipment rental and other programs. This fee will only be assessed for credit hours taken on the University of Maine campus.

1 to 5 Credit Hours    = $71.00 per semester
6+ Credit Hours    = $115.00 per semester

Room and Board: alternate meal plans available.
Insurance (annual): University of Maine insurance is available for all students. Health insurance is required for international students and dependents, as well as graduate assistants, fellows, and trainees appointed on half-time ($2,200/year) equivalent positions.

All courses at the 500 level and above will be billed at graduate tuition rates. Also, all course work taken by matriculated and non-degree graduate students will be billed at the graduate rate. This includes prerequisites and electives, regardless of the level of the course. All students receiving assistantships, scholarships, or other stipends are required to pay miscellaneous fees.

Dropping Courses 

After the second week of classes, there are no refunds if a student drops one or more courses. During the first two weeks of classes, full refunds are given.

Residency Guidelines

Residency Classification. There are many factors which will be considered in determining residency for in-state tuition purposes. No one factor can be used to establish domicile, rather all factors and circumstances must be considered on a case-by-case basis. A domicile or residency classification assigned by a public or private authority neither qualifies nor disqualifies a student for University of Maine System (UMS) in-state status.

A student applying for admission to a degree program is classified as eligible, or not eligible, for in-state tuition at the time of registration. The decision, made by the Graduate School, shall be made based on information and documentation furnished by the student and other information available to the University. No student is eligible for in-state tuition classification until he or she has become domiciled in Maine, in accordance with University guidelines, before such registration. If the student is enrolled full-time in an academic program, as defined by the University, it will be presumed that the student is in Maine for educational purposes, and that the student is not in Maine to establish a domicile. A residence established for the purpose of attending a UMS institution would not by itself constitute domicile. The burden will be on the student to prove that he or she has established a Maine domicile for other than educational purposes. An individual who has lived in the State of Maine, for other than educational purposes, one year prior to registration or application to a campus is considered an in-state student.

In general, members of the Armed Forces and their dependents will be granted in-state tuition during such periods of time as they are on active duty within the State of Maine or if their Military State of residency is Maine as evidenced by appropriate official documentation. Individuals who have been granted in-state tuition under these conditions but then cease from active duty would continue to be granted in-state tuition. A Maine resident who is absent from the State for military or full-time educational purposes will normally remain eligible for in-state tuition.

A student, spouse, or domestic partner of a student, who currently has continuous, permanent full-time employment in Maine before the student decides to apply for degree status at the University will be considered in-state for tuition purposes.

A student who is dependent on his/her parent(s) and/or legally appointed guardian (or to whom custody has been granted by court order) is considered to have a domicile with the parent(s) for tuition purposes.

In-state tuition is not available to anyone who holds a non-immigrant U.S. visa. If an individual is not a domiciliary of the United States, they cannot be a domiciliary of the State of Maine.

A student, who attended an out-of-state educational institution at in-state tuition rates in the immediately preceding semester, shall be presumed to be in Maine for educational purposes and not to establish a domicile. Again, the burden will be on the individual to prove that he or she has established a Maine domicile for other than educational purposes.

Change of Residency Classification. To change tuition status, the following procedures are to be followed:

1.   “Request for Change in Tuition Status” cover sheet and application must be filed with the Associate Bursar at The University of Maine, Bursar’s Office, 5703 Alumni Hall, Orono, Maine 04469-5703 before the first day of classes for the summer session, fall or spring semester for which residency is requested. All applications are prospective.

2.   If the Associate Bursar’s written decision, to be issued within 30 days of the first day of classes is considered incorrect by the student, the student may appeal that decision in writing within 30 days, in the following order.

a.   The Bursar. After receiving a written decision from this level within 30 days, the student has 30 days to submit a written appeal to:

b.   The Vice President for Finance and Administration. After receiving a written decision from this level within 30 days, the student has 30 days to submit a written appeal to the President (or designee).

c.   The President (or designee) will issue a final decision within 30 days.

In the event that the Associate Bursar, or other designated official, possesses facts or information indicating a student’s change of status from in-state to out-of-state, the student shall be informed in writing of the change in status and will be given an opportunity to present facts in opposition to the change. The student may appeal the decision of the Associate Bursar or other designated official as set forth in the preceding paragraph.

New England Regional Student Program

Expanded graduate study opportunities are made available each year to New England residents through the New England Regional Student Program, administered by the New England Board of Higher Education. When a graduate program is not offered at a student’s home state institution, a qualified student may apply for enrollment at an out-of-state institution offering that program under the Regional Student Program. Depending upon the institution in which they enroll, students qualifying for study under the Program are charged either the institution’s resident tuition or an amount 50 percent above the resident tuition.

Typically, degree programs offered under the Regional Student Program are high-cost, specialized, professional programs such as forestry, oceanography, hydrology, occupational therapy, and pharmacology, although general areas of study also are offered.

Requests for detailed information should be directed to the graduate school of participating state universities. It is essential that students read the individual catalog, since degree nomenclature differs by institution. Application for enrollment is made directly to the institution, which has sole authority over admissions. Applicants must clearly indicate, both in their initial inquiries and on their application forms, that they are seeking admission under the terms of the New England Regional Student Program. Further information is available from the New England Board of Higher Education, New England Regional Student Program, 45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111, (617)357-9620. Their publication, ” The Apple Book,” is available free of charge, and lists all qualifying graduate programs for the six New England states, as well as all pertinent information about the program.

Canadian Citizen Tuition Rate

Citizens of Canada are assessed reduced tuition equivalent to 50 percent above the resident tuition rate for any course work taken as a graduate student at The University of Maine.

Financial Awards and Assistance

School financing is generally offered to students through their graduate programs. However, if financial support is unavailable, it is the graduate student’s responsibility to identify sources for financial assistance.

The University of Maine offers assistantships, fellowships and traineeships. A typical assistantship appointment will require students to work 20-hours a week. The benefits of those positions include a monthly stipend, a tuition waiver, and coverage of half of the cost of the group health insurance plan provided to graduate assistants, fellows and trainees by the University.

All applicants who wish to be considred for nomination to assistantships, fellowships or traineeships, must have complete application on file at the Graduate School by January 15th. Students should contact their academic unit specifically to inquire about the possibility of securing an assistantship, or to be nominated for any of the completed positions offered by the Graduate School. Most awards are based on academic performance rather than financial need. A student may hold only one assistantship per year.

What follows is a description of financial support opprotunities for graduate students.


Graduate Assistantships. Awarded by individual departments or offices, graduate assistantships are generally available in most academic fields which offer a degree program, as well as in such areas as admissions, student aid, and residence life and programs. Some assistantships and fellowships are also awarded competitively through the Graduate School each spring for the following academic year. For most assistantships, up to nine hours of tuition per semester is paid, exclusive of audited and pass/fail courses, and courses numbered below 400-level  as well as 50% of the premium for the group health plan offered by the university. In some cases, a limited amount of tuition for the summer following the academic year in which the assistantship appointment is effective may also be paid by the sponsoring unit.

Graduate assistants normally devote half-time (20 hours per week) to work activities and are prohibited from working elsewhere in addition to the assistantship. Most graduate assistants are required to register for at least six hours of degree credit in the fall and spring semesters. Exceptions are doctoral students who have been admitted to candidacy, doctoral students in Psychology who are taking clinical internships, master’s students in dietetic internships, and graduate students in their final semester. In these instances, one credit may be considered full-time. If an assistantship continues through the summer, the graduate assistant must register for at least one graduate credit hour.

Admission to the Graduate School is required before appointment to a graduate assistantship is made. Because these assistantships are awarded by the departments, the student should correspond directly with the department concerned regarding the availability of assistantships.

Announcements of many graduate assistantships are available on the Graduate School’s FirstClass conference.

Chase Distinguished Research Assistantships (CDRA). Ten research assistantships are available annually and are awarded by the Graduate School. The awards include a monthly stipend, a tuition waiver for up to nine hours per semester exclusive of courses taken as audit or pass/fail or below 400 level and coverage of 50% of the Univertsity’s group health insurance plan for graduate assistants. Some receive a tuition waiver during the summer following the academic year of the award. These awards are made on a competitive basis and involve nomination by the department of study and submission of a research proposal delineating the research to be undertaken. Nominations are sought in December-January.

Atlantic Provinces Graduate Scholarships. Three scholarships, which pay up to 18 hours of tuition per academic year, are available on a competitive basis to graduates of the colleges and universities of the Atlantic Provinces and Quebec. Applicants interested in being nominated for this award should consult their department. Nominations are sought in February. The award may be continued beyond the first year if the student remains in good standing.

Maine Economic Improvement Fund (MEIF) Dissertation Fellowships. Five research fellowships awarded annually by the Graduate School for doctoral candidates completing their dissertations in the following MEIF targeted areas:  aquaculture and marine sciences technology; biotechnology; composite materials engineering; environmental sciences technology; information sciences and technology; precision manufacturing; and forestry and agriculture.  The stipend is at least $18,000 for the academic year, and the student receives a tuition waiver for one thesis credit (XXX 699) per semester and coverage of 50% of the University’s group health insurance plan for graduate assistants. Preference will be given to students in their final year of doctoral study, and the award is non-renewable. Nominations are sought in December-January.

University of Maine Doctoral Research Fellowship (UMDRF). The University of Maine Doctoral Research Fellowships are open to all doctoral students, regardless of discipline and designed to stimulate research and scholarship at UMaine as measured by research productivity and doctoral-degree graduation rate. Therefore, successful applicants must explicitly address how fellowship support would result in an overall increase in research productivity. The UMDRF is intended to provide up to two years (24 months) of support with a stipend of $25,000 per year and coverage of 1 credit of tuition per semester and 50% of the University’s group health insurance plan for doctoral students to assist in completion of their degrees. Nominations are sought in December-January.

Graduate Trustee Tuition Scholarships. Fifteen to twenty scholarships, which pay up to 18 hours of tuition per academic year, are available on a competitive basis to students enrolled in graduate programs. Scholarship recipients must be full-time students and may register for up to nine hours of credit each semester. The Graduate School requests nominations from the departments in February. Interested students should seek nomination through their departments of study.

Thurgood Marshall Scholarships. At least two scholarships which pay up to 18 hours of tuition are available to graduate students whose socioeconomic background, prior academic or work experience, and/or graduate educational interests would bring a unique perspective to The University of Maine community. Preference for these scholarships is given to individuals from groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in specific programs at The University of Maine. Scholarship recipients must be full-time students and may register for up to nine hours of credit each semester. The Graduate School requests nominations from departments in February. Interested students should seek nomination through their departments of study.

International Graduate Student Tuition Scholarships. The Graduate School offers a limited number of tuition awards to international students. The student is responsible for all other costs related to graduate education. As with other awards, nominations are sought from departments in February and are based on academic performance. To be eligible, the candidate must have a completed application form, including financial statement, GRE/MAT/GMAT and TOEFL scores on file at the Graduate School. The award may be continued beyond the first year if the student remains in good standing.

Federally Funded Traineeships and Fellowships. Subject to the availability of federal funds, federal traineeships and fellowships are available to graduate students in some programs such as special education, social work, nursing, biological sciences, communication sciences and disorders, and clinical psychology. Students should inquire in their field of interest. 

Resident Life Positions. Assistant Community Coordinator positions in the University residence halls are available each year. The position involves working with students, advising complex governments, programming, interpreting and enforcing policies and procedures, advising residents and making referrals, and assisting the Community Coordinator with managing the complex. ACC’s  receive a stipend, an apartment for the academic year, and a meal plan for themselves while the University is in session, plus tuition up to 18 hours per year. The selection process begins in February so applicants are encouraged to apply early. A limited number of resident assistant positions and internship positions are also available through Residence Life. For information on application procedures, contact Residence Life Room 311, 5748 Memorial Union Orono, Maine 04469-5748 telephone, 207/581-4801.

Other Fellowships may be available through individual departments or units. For example, the Canadian-American Center offers several fellowships for graduate students pursuing study of a regional nature involving New England, the Atlantic Provinces of Canada, and Québec. Students should inquire in their field of interest. 

Student Financial Aid

The Office of Student Financial Aid administers several financial aid programs to help University of Maine graduate students finance their education. Office staff award, process, and disburse financial aid for University of Maine students, and advise students and their families, the campus community, and the general public on issues related to financial aid. Public contact hours are from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. throughout the year. Advisors are available on a walk-in basis between 10:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, with expanded hours during peak seasons. All correspondence concerning financial aid should be addressed to the Office of Student Financial Aid, 5781 Wingate Hall, Orono, ME 04469-5781. For assistance with the application process, status updates, or answers to other questions about financial aid, contact the office at (207) 581-1324, or via e-mail (umfinaid@maine.edu).

Applying for Financial Aid

To make a proper judgment as to the amount and types of assistance each student can receive, students are required to apply for financial aid. The University of Maine requires only one financial aid application: the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students must apply for financial aid each year, using FAFSA on the Web (www.fafsa.gov).

FAFSA on the Web allows students to enter application information and electronically submit their application directly to the federal processing center. Certain pieces of information can even be “pre-filled” from the prior year’s application so long as the student has his/her PIN (Personal Identification Number). Anyone can request a PIN at: www.pin.ed.gov. PINs can be obtained in real time. The student’s signature must be provided before the FAFSA on the Web can be processed. There are two ways in which the application can be signed: the student can use their PIN to electronically sign the FAFSA or a paper signature page can be printed from FAFSA on the Web that then needs to be signed and mailed to the address provided. Students should note the confirmation number that is given when the application is submitted.

Certain types of financial aid, including Federal Work-Study and Federal Perkins Loan, that the University of Maine has available are limited. Consequently, even students who are otherwise eligible will not initially be considered for these funds unless they meet our “priority filing” deadline of March 1. To meet our priority filing deadline, the students FAFSA must be received at the federal processing center by the March 1 deadline prior to the start of the Fall Semester for which the student wishes to receive financial assistance. Financial aid is still available for applicants who apply after the deadline, but may be limited.

After applying, the student will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), or an e-mail that tells them how to access their SAR on the Web, from the federal processing center. The student is expected to review the SAR and make any necessary corrections immediately, or contact the Student Financial Aid Office for assistance. As long as the University of Maine is listed on the SAR in the school section, the Student Financial Aid Office will receive the application data at approximately the same time. The application will be reviewed and the student will be notified if any additional documentation (such as tax returns, verification forms, or other information) is required.

Once the students file is considered complete, a financial aid award will be made available to the student. The student should accept (or reject) each type of aid offered and follow all instructions to ensure continued processing and disbursement of funds to the students account at the University of Maine Bursars Office.

Eligibility for Financial Aid

To be eligible for most types of Federal, State and University financial aid, each student must:

  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • have earned a high school diploma or G.E.D.
  • be offered admission to a University of Maine degree program
  • not be in default on a previous Federal educational loan program
  • continue to be in good academic standing
  • continue to make satisfactory progress toward a degree (see Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients).

Most types of financial aid require at least half-time enrollment in order to be eligible. Full-time registration for a graduate student is normally defined as six or more degree hours per semester or summer session; part-time status is five hours or less per year. Doctoral students who have been admitted to candidacy, psychology and human nutrition students on approved internships, and students in their final semester of study may maintain full-time enrollment status by registering for a minimum of one thesis or internship credit. However, for students taking one credit, overall financial aid eligibility is less than the eligibility for a graduate student enrolled for 6 or more credit hours due to the reduced cost of tuition and fees.

Financial aid is awarded based upon actual credit load each semester, regardless of official University status. Each student’s enrollment level is verified at the end of the Add/Drop period each semester; financial aid eligibility is recalculated and awards are adjusted if necessary. The student is notified any time the financial aid award changes. Students participating in cooperative employment programs, practicums, internships and field experience may not be eligible for financial aid unless they are enrolled at least half time.

Federal, State and University financial aid programs are not available for non-degree enrollment. Some lending institutions offer loan programs to students who are currently taking classes in non-degree programs. Further information is available upon request.

NOTE: early registration for classes, including enrollment for Thesis Credits, helps ensure timely processing and disbursement of financial aid funds.

Financial Aid Programs

Graduate students may be offered assistance from the following financial aid programs:

Federal Work-Study is awarded based on need to eligible students enrolled in a degree program at least half-time, giving students the opportunity to earn spending money and/or living expenses while gaining valuable work experience (job listings are available through the Office of Student Employment.

Federal Perkins Loans are low-interest (5%) loans awarded based on need by the Office of Student Financial Aid to eligible students enrolled in a degree program at least half-time. Repayment is deferred while continuously enrolled at least half-time.

NOTE: no interest is charged until repayment begins; any break in continuous enrollment such as leave of absence, will result in the student entering into the nine-month grace period and repayment could begin before the student re-enrolls in a degree program at least half-time.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) are funded through the federal government and are awarded to students enrolled in a degree program at least half-time who have applied for federal financial aid. Graduate students are allowed to borrow up to $8,500 in a combination of subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loan per year, and up to $12,000 in additional unsubsidized Stafford Loan per year. Actual eligibility may be less than the annual maximum depending upon enrollment level and the amount of all other financial educationally-related assistance, if any. Students must accept the Federal Direct Stafford Loan via MaineStreet. More information is available on the Financial Aid website, located at www.umaine.edu/stuaid.

NOTE: subsidized loans are made to students with need, while unsubsidized loans are made to students with partial/no subsidized loan eligibility. Repayment of principal is deferred for both subsidized and unsubsidized loans while a student is enrolled at least half time. Interest rates are fixed at 6.8%, for both unsubsidized loans and 4.5% for subsidized loans for the 2011-2012 academic year. Interest begins to accrue or can be paid by the student at the time of principal repayment for any subsidized portion of Federal Stafford Loan, and immediately after disbursement on any unsubsidized portion. Any break in continuous enrollment, such as a leave of absence, will result in the student entering into the 6-month grace period, and repayment could begin before the student re-enrolls in a degree program at least half-time.

NOTE: first-time borrowers of a Federal Direct Stafford Loan must complete an Entrance Interview before loan proceeds will be released. To complete the requirement on the web, visit www.studentloans.gov. Students who have borrowed previously and completed an Entrance Interview/Loan Counseling session at another college or university should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid. First time Federal Direct Stafford Loan borrowers must also complete a new Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov.

Other Sources of Funding:

Scholarships may be available from the student’s academic department or from outside scholarship agencies, to which the student applies directly, and do not have to be repaid.

Graduate Assistant Tuition Scholarships are awarded by offices and departments on campus and reported to the Student Financial Aid Office. These assistance programs are usually offered to full-time graduate students in return for the students’ efforts in research and/or teaching while working on a graduate degree (contact the Graduate School and/or Academic Department for more information).

Payment Plans give students the option of making periodic payments of part or all of the amount due to the University of Maine. For more information and/or an enrollment form, contact the University of Maine Bursars Office at 581-1521.

Credit-Based Loan Programs are available through various lending institutions throughout the United States. Please visit the Office of Student Financial Aid’s website at www.umaine.edu/stuaid for more information on alternative loans.

Changes to Financial Aid Awards

Changes to awards can occur even after a financial aid award has been offered, and aid can be retracted even after it has been posted to a student’s account with the Bursars Office. Students are notified any time their financial aid award is adjusted. Changes to awards may be necessary at any time during the academic year due to any or all of the following circumstances:

  • changes in enrollment level each semester
  • auditing a course
  • withdrawal from all classes
  • discontinued attendance in classes
  • corrections and updates to original application data
  • receipt of additional information affecting continued eligibility
  • changes in housing plans
  • changes in residency status
  • changes in student and/or family circumstances
  • receipt of additional assistance and/or scholarships

Students are encouraged to contact the office to discuss the impact on their financial aid eligibility before their status changes, if at all possible.

Financial Aid for Summer Session

Summer Session is considered to be the end of the University’s academic year. To be eligible for Summer Session financial aid, students must have applied for federal financial aid for the previous year. For example, students applying for financial aid for Summer Session 2011 must complete the 2010-2011 FAFSA. Generally, financial aid is limited to any remaining Federal Stafford Loan eligibility (subsidized and/or unsubsidized). Federal Work-Study may also be available and requires a separate application, which is available early in the Spring Semester and must be turned in prior to the deadline listed on the application. Students are encouraged to contact the Office of Student Financial Aid to request further information; the best time to discuss specific eligibility is midway through the Spring semester and after the student is pre-registered.

Limits on Financial Aid Eligibility

Most University of Maine students will have enough financial aid eligibility to complete a graduate degree, but limits do exist and eligibility is impacted by academic performance. To maintain eligibility for financial aid, each student must make progress toward a degree according to the University’s Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients Policy, measured in terms of both Grade Point Average (GPA) and length of time it takes to reach completion.

Both the Federal Perkins Loan and The Federal Stafford Loan programs places limits, called aggregate limits, on the total amount that can be borrowed by any student. These limits are specified in the U.S. Department of Education’s Student Guide, available for free from the Office of Student Financial Aid, or from the Department of Education’s financial aid web site (http://www.studentaid.ed.gov/students/publications/student_guide/index.html).

Withdrawal from All Classes

If a student withdraws from the University after the semester begins, federal regulations stipulate that financial aid eligibility must be re-evaluated and pro-rated based on the portion of the semester the student completed. Eligibility for continued deferment of any prior loans is also affected. Any potential refund of tuition and fees from the University may be retained to repay financial aid programs before any reimbursement may be made to the student. In some cases, the student may be required to repay some or all financial aid funds previously disbursed to them by the University’s Bursars Office. Students considering withdrawing from all classes are strongly encouraged to discuss the impact of their decision on their financial aid with the staff of the Office of Student Financial Aid before withdrawing. A copy of this policy is available in the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Institutional (Unofficial) Withdrawal

Federal regulations require that the Office of Student Financial Aid determine the last date of attendance for all students who discontinue class attendance. For those students who do not officially withdraw, the mid-point of the semester may be used as the official withdrawal date. Once a withdrawal date has been determined, charges and financial aid will be recalculated based on this date. Please be aware that as a result of this action, financial aid funds may be adjusted and money may be owed the University. You will be notified of any change. A copy of this policy is available in the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Special Circumstances

Any special circumstances, such as leaving full-time employment to pursue a graduate degree, changes in spouses’ employment, loss of a benefit or other type of income, changes in marital status due to separation, divorce or death of a spouse, or unexpected/unusual costs, should be brought to the attention of the staff of the Office of Student Financial Aid,. Students can explain their circumstances in writing, addressed to the attention of the Financial Aid Appeals Committee, Office of Student Financial Aid, 5781 Wingate Hall, Orono, ME, 04469-5781. A response is provided in the form of either a specific letter or a revised Award notification.

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Graduate Financial Aid Recipients

Federal financial aid regulations limit how long any student can continue to receive financial aid. In order to maintain eligibility for financial aid, each student must be making progress toward a degree. Students can lose eligibility for financial aid if they are not meeting academic standards for continued enrollment, if they are not completing a sufficient number of the credits they’ve enrolled for, and/or if it is taking too long to earn their degree. Each student’s progress is reviewed annually. Students who are not meeting the minimum standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress are notified in writing of the loss of eligibility for further financial aid, effective the following Fall semester. Students who are not making Satisfactory Academic Progress, but who are allowed to continue enrollment, may have to do so without the benefit of financial assistance. A copy of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid Recipients is available in the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Procedure

Every student has the right to appeal upon notification of loss of financial aid eligibility due to lack of academic progress. Appeals are considered by a committee. Appeals can only be made in writing and should be sent, along with appropriate supporting documentation, to the attention of the Chair of the Satisfactory Progress Appeal Committee, Office of Student Financial Aid, 5781 Wingate Hall, Orono, ME 04469-5781. Students are notified of the result of the appeal by letter.

Questions about the policy or the appeal procedure can be referred to the Office of Student Financial Aid (207) 581-1324.